Subscribe to my full RSS feed or receive updates via e-mail.

It's NOT a Hobby… It's My Job!

November 8, 2007 12 comments

After all these years of helping pay the bills and buying groceries, my husband shocked me the other day. I couldn't believe it, and I wasn't a happy camper either! However, you can bet I stood my ground, and boy did I ever have my say.

As you already know from a previous post, I've been having a hard time lately. I guess it could be because the holidays are upon us and this seems to be a slow time for freelance writers, but I've been doing the best I can to make up for the slow period. I've applied for so many writing jobs that I've lost count. In addition, I'm working on two projects that have been on the back burner for a while now. One project is the writing workshop that I plan to launch in December or sooner, and the other is an e-book that I hope to release soon after the writing class has launched. I'm praying that these two projects will help me contribute a little more to the bills until things start to pick up again.

Anyway, let's get back to the story, shall we? I guess Hubby had a bad day and decided to let his frustration out on me, and during this process of him fuming about our current financial situation, he shouted, "And what you do is a hobby!" Needlesstosay, I was speechless… you could have heard a pin drop in the house at that moment. After a moment of silence, I looked at him and said, "No, writing is not a hobby… it's my job!"

"No, it's a hobby," he argued.

Adding fuel to the fire and ignoring the fact that my 20-year-old, unemployed stepson was sitting there playing a game on the computer, I came back with, "I pay taxes just like you do, and despite what you think, I do work. In fact, you weren't complaining a few months ago when I was making $700 a month."

"No, I wasn't, because we could manage then, but now we can't."

To make a long story short, I explained to him how things were slow right now, and I let him know it may take a little time, but I'm doing everything I know to do. Of course, he didn't understand because he's not a writer and wouldn't.

The argument ended well and he's expecting me to step-it-up. Therefore, I've been working my tail-end off on the two above mentioned projects as well as writing more than usual for Associated Content.

I hate to fight -- and we've never fought like this before -- but I had to stand my ground on that one. I don't think people understand that writing is our job, and I suppose they fail to understand it because we sit behind a desk all day. But here's how I feel: when you pay taxes just like an employer does, then what you do is a job. Not only do we pay our own taxes, but we also make money. Sure, some writers make more than others do, but it takes time. Furthermore, writers wear many hats and actually perform more than one job. For instance, we're writers (of course), bookkeepers, accountants, marketers and negotiators. Wouldn't you agree?

Okay, you've made it this far so I won't bore you with my problems any longer. Besides, I have to get back to doing my job in order to keep Hubby satisfied.

12 comments: to “ It's NOT a Hobby… It's My Job! so far...

  • Anonymous 4:42 AM CST
     

    It's really hard for some people to understand that writing is work and that just because you're home all day doesn't mean you're not working. But ask those same people to write an article or anything else .... suddenly it's not so easy anymore.

  • Misti Sandefur, Christian author/freelance writer 7:06 AM CST
     

    Lillie, that's so true.

  • Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl 11:12 AM CST
     

    Sorry to hear about your troubles, Misti. I hope things get lots better soon!

    People don't understand, but that's ok, too. We know in our hearts we're doing our best and we have to hold onto that.


    Smiles & Best Wishes,
    Michele
    Writing the Cyber Highway

  • Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl 8:02 PM CST
     

    Hi again, Misti. My heart goes out to you so you've been in my thoughts and prayers ;0)

    I know you're familiar with Associated Content, but have you ever tried Constant-Content?

    You may want to check it out. You "park" your articles here until an editor of a website/newspaper/magazine comes along searching for content for their publication and if your article is what they're looking for, they purchase it and the money goes into your Paypal account! I'm sure you could do this and have success ;0)

    I posted about it on my blog today if you want to check it out.

    Be encouraged!

    Best wishes!
    Smiles,
    Michele

  • Jerry Allen 9:33 PM CST
     

    I wonder if he knew, at the precise moment that words came out of his mouth, that that was just the absolute WRONG thing to say? I have those brain fart mooments with my wife too.

    Tell me about AC. IS it a pretty good gig?

  • Misti Sandefur, Christian author/freelance writer 10:59 PM CST
     

    Michele, thanks so much for your prayers. The one thing in this world that never seems to fail me is prayers. He may not answer at the moment I want Him to, but 99.9% of the time He does answer them.

    Jerry,

    I decided to answer your question regarding Associated Content in my post. I think you'll benefit from it this way, and it could also be helpful to others as well.

  • Misti Sandefur, Christian author/freelance writer 11:07 PM CST
     

    Oh, Michele, I forgot to address your other question regarding Constant-Content.

    I have been a member of Constant-Content for quite a few years now. I'll admit I've only put a couple articles up, and those articles have sat there and never sold. Maybe it's the prices, but I refuse to just give the content away, and as you said in your post, you have to take into consideration Constant-Content's fees when deciding on a price. I may, however, since times are tough right now, put a few more articles up for sale there. It can't hurt. ;)

  • Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl 11:36 PM CST
     

    Right, but the way I see it if we only offer "Usage" license and sell and resell it as a reprint, then the articles will keep making money.

    I'm just trying it out. I figure it never hurts to try something and I personally know people that are doing extremely WELL there (like amazingly well.)

    I wish you the best with it and everything else, too ;0)

    Smiles,
    Michele

  • Misti Sandefur, Christian author/freelance writer 12:55 AM CST
     

    Michele,

    I don't know anyone who is doing "extremely" well on Constant-Content, but I have heard of people that do. It would be nice to know some of them to discover the secret to success on Constant-Content, though. In fact, if I knew someone, I would probably interview them for the Coffee Break for Writers e-zine. ;)

  • Michele 11:27 AM CST
     

    Hi Misti,

    I talked to my friend about that interview and she said it would be great. She gave me an ok to give you her email (which I sent to you via your website email under the subject, Interview Request) and I can't wait to read that interview on your e-zine!

    Smiles
    Michele

  • Misti Sandefur, Christian author/freelance writer 1:14 AM CST
     

    Michele,

    Thanks for putting me in touch with your friend. I will be sending you an e-mail -- as well as your friend -- later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

  • Anonymous 5:07 PM CDT
     

    My hubby is very understanding of my job! I am very thankful for that. In fact, he likes it. I tried to get a part time job once to supplement my income and he didn't like that. He wants me to be able to pack up and go wherever (we vacation a lot and I can take my work on the road). He was worried that me having a job would affect that. But I do get comments from people. My sister would be like, "Why can't you come out for lunch, you don't have a real job ..." Yes, but I do have deadlines!