Subscribe to my full RSS feed or receive updates via e-mail.

Taking a Trip Soon!

October 24, 2006 0 comments

Back in June 2004, my husband and I got married, but because of his work and mine, we were unable to take a honeymoon. Instead, after our wedding, my mom took the kids and we went into town, rented some movies, ordered a couple pizzas, headed home, watched movies and ate pizza. Nope, not what you'd call a honeymoon.

Just the other day my husband surprised me with some news. He told me this winter we were going to finally take the honeymoon we never got. He knew while planning the wedding I wanted to go to Gatlinburg, TN and enjoy the Smokie Mountains. I had plans to rent one of those cabins too. However, as I stated above, we were not able to take the honeymoon because of our careers, and also because our finances at that time wouldn't allow.

I was excited when he delivered the news, and it made me smile when he said we would go to Gatlinburg and rent a cabin with a hot tub and the works. I still can't believe it! Neither my husband nor I have ever really taken what you would call a "vacation." We have been through Tennessee on our way to North Carolina at least three times, but it wasn't what you'd call a vacation. We went there to visit his kids twice, and the last time -- about two years ago -- we went to NC, because his kids were involved in a car accident. Other than a few scratches, bruises and soreness, the kids were okay, but he wanted to go so he could check on them and I understood completely. So see, these are the only trips we've ever made, and we were gone for three days at the most, so no, I really wouldn't call those trips a vacation.

Anyway, back to Gatlinburg... He said we would stay a week. He also said in the winter a lot of the museums and things aren't open, but he said we would go back again in the spring. I love Dolly Parton, but he did tell me Dollywood isn't open in the winter; shucks :( It doesn't matter though. As long as I get to spend an entire week with him, and finally get a honeymoon, not to mention a much-needed vacation, I don't mind not visiting Dollywood. I do, however, hope some places are open. I'd love to visit Cooter's Place, the Guinness World of Records Museum, Hollywood Star Cars Museum and many of the other interesting and unique attractions in and around Gatlinburg.

I will be taking my digital camera along and my notebook to take notes. Yep, when I return I hope to write some articles about my visit, and maybe some reviews of the cabins we'll stay in, places we'll eat, etc. Nevertheless, since I will be on my honeymoon, I won't do much writing at all (hard habit to break), but I will take a few notes to remember things.

Right now, when I'm not writing articles, soap opera update, or etc., I'm exploring the Internet for attractions in Gatlinburg. I'm also looking for discounts. Hmmm... I'm thinking being a writer with plans to write about my visit could help with the discount department. If you're a writer and have any tips to pass along on getting discounts, please let me know; my contact information is on my Web site, or you can post a comment and let me know that way. Oh yes, if you know of any other unique and interesting places around Gatlinburg that you've visited and can recommend, by all means, let me know about them.

Well, now that I've shared my excitement with you I'll go, but you can bet I'll blog more about the upcoming trip, and I'll also blog about the honeymoon/vacation when we return. No date has been set yet, but when it is, I will let you know, because I won't be blogging during that time.

Never give up on your dreams -- work toward them,
Misti Sandefur
Freelance Writer/Editor

0 comments: to “ Taking a Trip Soon! so far...