Subscribe to my full RSS feed or receive updates via e-mail.

Procrastinating With Video Games

December 30, 2008 5 comments

It's no secret that we all tend to procrastinate to take our minds off writing for a few hours. Usually when I delayed my writing to give my brain a rest, I read my favorite writing blogs, took a shower or went for walk, but these past few days I procrastinated way too long as I entertained myself with a new video game that the kids received for Christmas. Yes, I'll admit it, I've spent several hours on my kids' Play Station 2 (another Christmas gift) playing Thrillville: Off The Rails. I made the mistake of watching the kids play the video game after opening their gifts Christmas morning, and I thought it was interesting. Then, before I knew it, I joined in the fun and became addicted to the game. I should have left it alone. I knew better, but I just couldn't resist, and now the kids laugh at me.

"Mom's addicted to the Playstation," they say.
"It looks like you'll have to take turns with your mom now," my husband told them.

It's been years since I've sat down and played video games, so it's actually been fun and refreshing. Problem is I have to pull myself away in order to get back to my writing. This isn't as hard to do when all the kids are here, though, because when everyone wants to play, we each get an hour. Once my hour's up, I go back to writing. What happens when the kids aren't here or don't want to play? Well, let's just say I need some strong super glue to keep me in front of my work and away from the video game.

The good news: once I return to my laptop, I'm ready to write again. Who knows, I may become addicted to more of their video games and end up writing about video games, too. Of course, then I'd be paid for my time spent procrastinating.

5 comments: to “ Procrastinating With Video Games so far...

  • Terry Finley 1:52 PM CST
     

    We are pros at wasting time
    and procrastinating.

    Thanks for the thoughts.

    Terry Finley

    http://pathtosuccessfinley.blogspot.com/

  • Anonymous 11:52 AM CST
     

    Both my son and partner are addicts
    mainly to PC gaming. All the hours spent playing...

    They say it's relaxing and relieves tension. I wonder if it relieves writer's block too? Lol.

    Happy New Year Misti!
    Hope all goes well with your writing career and homelife this year.

  • Misti Sandefur, Christian author/freelance writer 3:08 AM CST
     

    Terry and Michelle, thank you both for reading my blog and commenting. I hope you'll continue reading and commenting.

    Michelle, I've not been hit with writer's block in a while, so I'm not sure if it relieves it, but I hope I don't have to find out either. ;) However, playing the video game does seem to relax me and ease the tension, so I suppose that's a good thing... even if I am procrastinating when I should be writing. :)

    Happy New Year to you as well, and I hope 2009 brings you lots of success and many blessings.

  • Anonymous 4:35 AM CST
     

    Hi Misti,

    Thanks for stopping by "Writing for Your Wealth." :)

    Boy, if I could get back all the hours I've spent playing Everquest, World of Warcraft, and other computer-based time sinks...

    Though I've noticed that even when I'm between games I can find distractions to keep from writing, grin.

  • Misti Sandefur, Christian author/freelance writer 6:20 AM CST
     

    Lindsay,

    You're welcome, and thanks for dropping by Life of a Writer and commenting!

    Oh yes, I, too, get distracted by things other than video games. In fact, I've been known to spend too much time reading blogs and other information on the Web. Oh well, I guess we have to have those moments every now and then to keep us going, wouldn't you agree?