Subscribe to my full RSS feed or receive updates via e-mail.

Missing Writing the Genre I Love Most... and What I Plan to do About It

October 6, 2009 0 comments

My way of "giving a little love every day" is through words. When I first starting writing years ago, my main focus was Christian fiction. Through Christian fiction, I could create characters that would inspire my readers and warm their souls.

Although I still write Christian fiction, I don't write it as often as I did in the beginning, because my other writing -- writing I do to keep the bills paid -- keeps me busy. While I do my best to help and inspire through non-fiction as well, I really miss writing Christian fiction stories and novels. So how can I focus more on this genre and still pay the bills?

Possible Solutions


1. Decrease my clientele. While that would free up some of my time, I still have to pay the bills, and Lord knows I can't write without electricity. Well, I can, but turning in assignments would be hard to do since 95% of my communication and work is done through the Internet.

2. Cut down on my social networking. In addition to writing for clients, I also spend a lot of time building my brand and building relationships through social networks. Now that I think about it, the best solution would be to cut down on my social networking time. I figure I could use some of my social networking time to write Christian fiction stories and submit them to paying fiction markets. That sounds like the perfect plan, and I wouldn't lose money! However, I have done some searching for paying fiction markets, and although I've come across a few, I haven't found many. That said, I'm going to have to spend a little time searching for paying fiction markets, and then I'll begin writing and submitting short Christian fiction stories once I've built a list of decent paying fiction markets.

Planning Ahead for Future Christian Fiction Assignments

Since I've discovered the solution to my problem, I'd like to make plans for a future of Christian fiction assignments. Instead of writing lots of non-fiction, I'd love to be able to work for people who pay for Christian fiction stories. If I could find blogs, magazines and electronic publications that wanted a writer to write weekly or monthly fiction columns that would inspire their readers, then I'd be much happier. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy writing non-fiction, but my biggest passion is Christian fiction. The market, though, doesn't seem to be as big as my passion. I guess I'll work my hardest to find those type clients, and if it's meant to be, the Lord will make sure I get the gigs I really want. In fact, I pray that one day the Lord will bless me with enough book sales that all of my time will be spent writing novels for my readers and the publishers who want my Christian fiction novels. This is not only my prayer, it's a dream, and one dream that I will continue to work towards.

Have you ever missed writing a genre that you love because a great deal of your time was spent making money to pay the bills, and if so, what solution did you come up with?

Do you know of any paying fiction markets?

Discuss and share your answer(s) in the comments section.

Photo credit: Angel Ina