Subscribe to my full RSS feed or receive updates via e-mail.

Overcoming Shyness

October 28, 2008 0 comments

Every since I was a kid I've been shy. I had friends growing up and still do, but until I get to know someone well, I don't talk much. I'm not rude. I'll speak when spoken to, but I prefer to escape everything -- life and problems -- through my writing. I've always been this way, and many of my readers have complimented my writing. Many of them often ask, "Why can't I find your books in the bookstores in your area?" Most often my response is because I've not taken the time to step away from my desk long enough to visit local bookstores and speak with the managers about stocking my books. While that reply is the truth, it's only half the truth. The other half of the truth is I'm too shy to approach the managers. It's not that I don't know what to say or how to sell myself. The problem is I don't want to appear pushy. While I may not be going door to door in my neighborhood, I feel as if several doors would be shut in my face, and I just can't seem to muster up the courage to ring the doorbell. I guess I was born with a shyness gene.

I know that in order for God to bless me with many sales, I have to overcome this shyness to market my books locally. I think I do great marketing through the Internet, because I'm not face-to-face with anyone -- I do it all through words, which is what I do best. I just need to learn how to overcome shyness to get the word out locally.

I've been considering investing in a copy of C. Hope Clark's The Shy Writer, but I'm not one-hundred percent sure if her book actually tells how to overcome shyness to market your books locally. So if any of you have read The Shy Writer, please comment and let me know if that's what the book teaches and what you thought of the book. Did you find The Shy Writer helpful?

I've been spending my weekends re-writing Help From Above, and I can hardly wait until I finish it and have it edited by a professional so I can re-publish it and implement some of my new book marketing ideas. Local bookstores, libraries, gift shops, Christian stores, local speaking engagements and etc. are a part of my new book marketing campaign for the second edition of Help From Above. Since the locals are included in my book marketing campaign, it's essential that I learn how to get over my shyness.

Were you once a shy writer who learned how to conquer the shyness to market your books locally? If so, I invite you to comment and share any tips that you feel could help me. On the other hand, why not write the article and submit it to Coffee Break for Writers. I'm editor of that e-zine, so if your article is well written and teaches shy writers how to overcome shyness to market their books locally, I'd be glad to accept the article for publication in Coffee Break for Writers. Coffee Break for Writers buys one-time rights and pays $15 for unpublished articles. Better yet, if you think you can write the article, e-mail me at editor(at)coffeebreakforwriters(dot)com and let me know you'd like the assignment. Be sure your e-mail includes a few of the tips that you'll discuss in your article.

Photo credit: Anomalous4

0 comments: to “ Overcoming Shyness so far...