Subscribe to my full RSS feed or receive updates via e-mail.

Sharing My Resources for Writers

November 30, 2007 2 comments

This past week I have been writing (of course) and visiting my favorite blogs as usual. During my "blog reading time" this past week, I read two interesting posts, and both those posts related to what it takes to be a writer. The posts were Freelance Writing: Not Everyone Can Do It, by Deborah Ng and Are You Skilled Enough to be a Writer? by Hope Wilbanks. Deborah created a list in her post, and one of the things Deborah said it takes to be a writer was that "you have to be willing to network." Then in Hope's discussion on what it takes to be a freelance writer, she elaborated by saying, "You must be willing to read, study and practice writing in general to improve your skills all the time." Let me just say I agree with both of these ladies. Not only did I want to draw your attention to their posts, but they inspired me to share my list of resources for writers with you.

Before I continue with my list of resources for writers, I would like to let you know that both new and veteran writers should benefit from the following resources. Without further ado, here are links to some of the many resources for writers that have helped me hone my writing skills over the years (links will open in a new window):

Network With Other Writers

When I first turned to the Internet to expand on my writing career networking wasn't as much of a trend, so I didn't start this until a few years ago. However, once I learned more about this popular trend, things started picking up for me. Here are a few websites to help you get started networking with other writers:

Practice Your Writing

In order to improve your writing you have to practice, and writing exercises are a great way to do just that. "Practice makes perfect," right?
Writers Read Too

When I need a break from writing, there's nothing I enjoy more than curling up in bed with a good book or magazine! After all, reading helps us improve on our own writing, and at times, I've discovered books that inspired me to write. Finally, in case you're wondering, yes, I have read all the books and magazines listed below. Do I recommend them? I wouldn't list 'em if I didn't.
Study the Writing Craft

Even though I've been writing for many years, I still find myself studying. And most of the time I always learn something new. The more you study the better writer you'll become. Note: some of these resources for writers include links to a few of my own articles.
There you have it: my list of resources for writers. Well, a small portion of my list anyway. If you have a resource for writers you'd like to share, let us know about it.

2 comments: to “ Sharing My Resources for Writers so far...

  • Hope Wilbanks 6:09 AM CST
     

    Nice resource list! It never hurts to have a list like this one bookmarked. :)

  • Michele 8:43 PM CST
     

    This is a great list, Misti! Like you, I wish Freelancing for Newspapers was updated more often. It's an awesome blog.

    Oh, and congrats on your new blogging position!

    Here's to great success in 2008!

    Smiles,
    Michele