Subscribe to my full RSS feed or receive updates via e-mail.

Longing for my Home Office

November 15, 2007 1 comments

We were hunting for a house back at the beginning of the year, but after looking at several modular homes, comparing prices and etc., we decided the best route would be to remodel our current home. Was I happy about this decision? No, but in all honesty, it is the cheapest way to go. If we bought a modular home, we would start all over on payments (our current home is almost paid for). Moreover, the payments would have been a couple hundred dollars more than what we are paying now, and our property taxes would skyrocket. Hubby assures me that I will be happy once the remodeling is complete, and I have no reason to doubt him. However, like most husbands, you have to get them off their lazy bums to start before you even begin to see a change; sorry, men, but it's true… at least with my hubby anyway.

Anyway, we got together and drew out a floor plan for our home. On the floor plan we created, we decided to add two additional rooms: another bathroom and an office (for me, of course). Currently, my office space is the living room, and the bad thing is my desk sits right beside the TV's speaker; I cannot move my desk because this is the only space for it right now. Although, my laptop is portable, but I hate moving it, because everything I need is in my desk. Nevertheless, if Hubby does not start on the remodeling soon, I am going to have to take advantage of the portability of my laptop.

I cannot stand noise when I am trying to write, and Hubby keeps the TV turned up so loud that you cannot hear yourself think. I have earplugs, but they are uncomfortable to wear, not to mention the fact that the TV's so loud at times that the earplugs do not help. I know some writers can probably work under these circumstances, but I am just not one of them.

Thankfully, Hubby retires around 9:00pm, but since my stepson -- whom I do love dearly -- moved in with us, I cannot commence writing at 9:00pm anymore, because he watches the TV until he is ready for bed, which is usually after midnight.

Three weeks ago, I attempted to take my laptop outdoors. My Pomeranian had fleas so bad that while hubby was at work my stepson and I had to bomb the house to get rid of her fleas. Therefore, we had to sit outside for a couple hours after sitting off the bombs. I thought this would be the perfect time to write since the outdoor environment really gets my creative juices flowing.

"I'm looking forward to this. I love writing outside where it's so peaceful and quiet," I hinted to my stepson, who was carrying his dad's laptop.
"While you're doing that, I'm going to play Runescape," he replied.

Unfortunately, this attempt failed as well. First, I struggled with finding an area away from the sun so I could see my screen. Then when I found the perfect spot, I guess my stepson changed his mind about Runescape. Turns out he wanted to listen to his hyped-up car stereo. So what did he do? Indeed, he turned on the large speakers and cranked up the music. I sat there and shook my head as I listened to the bass… Boom, boom, boom. I wanted to scream but remained patient until he turned it off, which happened to be two hours later. Oh well, maybe I will give the outdoor environment another go soon.

I have always been a night owl, because… well, I am not a morning person, but now I may have to become a morning person until Hubby adds-on the home office. Oh how I long for the peace and quiet that my future home office will bring me.

1 comments: to “ Longing for my Home Office so far...