Subscribe to my full RSS feed or receive updates via e-mail.

Ahhhh… Men!...

April 23, 2007 0 comments

Okay, ladies, be honest… don't men just make you want to scream at times? Tonight my hubby not only made me want to scream, but he also made me want to prove a point. And to be honest, I'm still contemplating whether to do what I'd like to do in order to prove a point. You see, he had the nerve to accuse me of not doing anything around the house. Oh boy! Yes, I held my tongue to avoid a feud, but the whole time I was biting my tongue a thought was going through my head, and I'll reveal that thought soon, but for the moment, let me tell you what happened. Well, that is if you're up to listening. ;)

It all started when he asked me if I had washed socks yet. I kindly told him I had not gotten to them yet, but I said I would get to them tomorrow. I do avoid the laundry as much as possible, because every time I wash a load of clothes I have to set on top of the drain, which is in the middle of my living room floor (we live in a basement house). The reason I have to set by the drain is because it leaks each time I do laundry. The washer backs up through the drain, and if I don't set and wait for the rinse cycle so I can suck up the water in the shop vac, then it floods my living room. The washer goes through two rinse cycles so I have to wait for the first cycle, catch the water and then hurry, drag the shop vac full of water out the door, and dump the water so I can catch the second rinse cycle. Needlesstosay, I've had to do this for a year now and it's getting old! Therefore, when he asked me if I washed the socks yet and I replied no, I also told him to check the hamper of clean clothes to see if he had a pair in there for tomorrow. Well, this got him fired up even more and he blurted out that I was lazy and didn't do a damn thing around here! Now, I will admit I hate folding laundry and putting the clothes away, so most of the time the clean clothes stay in the hamper or on the couch. However, I do try to keep the dishes washed (the dishwasher is a lifesaver) and the house clean.

Many writers say they can't find the time to keep their house clean, and I admit there's been a couple times I get a little behind on housework (mainly the dusting), but I'm the type of person that can't stand to live in a messy house, so I keep it as clean as I possibly can. No, it's not spotless, but it's clean. In addition to all that, I manage to try to have supper ready for him when he gets home from work, at 5:00 p.m. (CDT). I write my update for Soaps.com and usually have it written and live by 4:00 p.m. (CDT). Just as soon as I finish my update for Soaps.com, I head for the kitchen to start supper. I do understand he works harder than I do because he's a heavy equipment mechanic, and he works outdoors through the heat and cold temperatures. I can't for the life of me get him to understand just because I work at the desk I too need help at times, though. Of course, I guess since he's a "man," he'll never get it.

As I said earlier, I didn't want to start a big fight so I held my tongue, but the more he bitched I felt the need to defend myself so I retorted, "You're telling me I don't do anything around here. Don't you get supper every evening? Does this look like a mess to you?" I asked, waving my arms in reference to the living room, which is clean. "Yes," he replied. Well, that was a shocker! And with that I added, "Well, why don't you fix anything around here then? Maybe if you fixed the drain, you would have clean socks." He didn't reply. Instead, a few minutes later he kissed me goodnight and told me he loved me.

After he went to bed, I couldn't help but be a little bothered by the fact that he would call me lazy. I even mowed the yard for him this weekend, and what does he offer to help me with? Well, most of the time… nothing. I take out the trash. I load and unload the dishwasher. I cook the supper… I could go and on, but enough said. Since I was and still am a bit frustrated, I thought to myself, what if I show him lazy. I could take a couple days off and not have any supper ready for him when he gets home. Plus, I could let the dirty dishes pile up in the sink and in the living room, leave the trash lying around on the tables, etc. Hmm, I wonder what he'd say then. Maybe he would think twice next time, before he accuses me of not doing anything. The problem is, though, I'm not sure I could stand to let my house get that bad, and I would be the one to clean it all up later. Although, just to see the look on his face a few days later might be worth the suffering. What do you think, ladies? Do you have any better ideas?

If you made it this far, then I thank you for listening to me rant. At least I feel a little better now that I've gotten it off my chest…LOL… I think I'll get back to writing. Lord knows there's work waiting.

Never give up on your dreams -- work toward them,
Misti Sandefur

Enter to Win an Autographed Copy of "Help From Above"

0 comments: to “ Ahhhh… Men!... so far...