Subscribe to my full RSS feed or receive updates via e-mail.

Musings and Query Advice

January 4, 2007 0 comments

Yesterday I received a delightful e-mail from a reader in the Philippines. We had a nice chat, and I hope I was able to help her with her questions. As I've said before, I always enjoy helping other writers. So, don't be shy, send me an e-mail anytime! Not only does it make me feel good to help other writers, but it's also an enjoyment to chat with writers like myself.

This reader informed me that she found my Web site by reading some of the articles I wrote. In essence, she said my Web site was so helpful she bookmarked it for later reference. In addition, she expressed that it was a blessing she got my name. Needless to say, her e-mail made my day! It's always nice to know you were able to help someone :)

On another note, today, I was reading a newsletter I subscribed to (Writing Etc.), and the article in that edition of Writing Etc. was regarding query letters. After reading the article, I found I could relate to a lot of it. For example, the author said, "Well over 99 percent of all queries reaching the Filbert Publishing offices are completely contrary to our guidelines. Don't fit whatsoever." I can't count how many times I've experienced this dilemma since I started accepting submissions for the second edition of "On the Net Resource Guide for Writers," and my e-zine, Coffee Break for Writers. In fact, just a couple days ago a writer sent a submission for the e-zine, but she failed to read the guidelines, because she sent her submission as a Word attachment. The guidelines clearly state that the only attachments we accept are PDF attachments. I had no choice but to delete this writer's submission unread, simply because she did not follow the guidelines. If she had of followed the guidelines, I would have viewed her submission.

Another piece of advice Beth Ann Erickson gave in her article is "be courteous and professional." She goes on to say, "I've had writers chew me out, then expect me to hire them." Unfortunately, I can relate to this as well… A few months ago I received a total of approximately 15 articles for the second edition of "On the Net Resource Guide for Writers," and these articles all came from the same author. I didn't mind that at all, but the author was aware that her submissions would be on speculation. This means there is no guarantee that all or any of the articles would be accepted.

I did take the time to read each one of the author's submissions, but upon review of them, I could only accept approximately 10 of the 15 articles. The reason I couldn't accept them all was because some of them did not fit my editorial needs, and a few of the others had too may grammar mistakes.

I e-mailed the author detailing which articles I would accept for publication, and I clarified that I needed her to add a little bit of information to one of the articles in order for it to be accepted. She responded saying she would add the information to that one article within a few days. I e-mailed her back saying that was perfectly okay, and I collected the information I would need from her to send a written contract and payment (upon publication).

A few days later, this author e-mailed me back, but she didn't send the information she said she would send. Instead, she questioned my rejection of five of her 15 articles. I politely responded explaining my reasons for rejecting the five articles, and she responded again, but this time she was very rude and asked me to withdraw the articles I had accepted. Without hesitation, I withdrew the accepted articles. I done this without hesitation because one, the fact that she was rude for no reason showed me she didn't know how to be professional, which her cover letter showed me that she was (or at least I though she was). And two, after being nice to her, I didn't appreciate being treated like that.

I gathered from the author's e-mails that she was unhappy about the rejections, because she had sent so many at once, but she knew and understood that she was sending them all on spec. Please friends, if I or any other editor rejects a submission or submissions from you, know that it's not personal. The article most likely didn't meet our needs at that time, but if you're professional and courteous, you could be accepted in the future; just keep trying. As a writer myself, I know how frustrating rejections can be, and this is what makes it harder for me to send rejections to other writers. However, I also know from being a writer that you should respect editors, because they have a tendency to talk amongst other editors.

To find out more tips for submitting your query letters, read Erickson's "Query FAQs" in the January 1, 2007 edition of Writing Etc.. Following her advice will not only increase your chances of acceptance, but it will also increase the chances that your query will be read.

Best wishes,
Misti Sandefur

Visit Misti Sandefur's Official Web Site

Find Out the Latest News About Misti Sandefur

0 comments: to “ Musings and Query Advice so far...