Subscribe to my full RSS feed or receive updates via e-mail.

School is Back in Session

August 17, 2006 0 comments

School is back in session and the pile of work on my desk is decreasing! Speaking of school, it's amazing how much information we can't remember after we've been out of school for so long. Plus, school has changed over the years. I bring this up because the other night my husband, my children, and I were all sitting in the living room waiting for "Big Brother" to come on. "King of the Hill" and "The Simpsons" was a re-run so we weren't paying much attention.

As we sat waiting for "Big Brother," we struck up a conversation on states and their capitals. My daughter is 13, and she's already had to memorize all the states and capitals for school, however, my boys are in the fourth grade, and according to my daughter, they will have to know these next year.

Our conversation turned into a learning session. (I guess you could say we were giving the boys a head start on their states and capitals.) My husband would name a state and whoever knew the capital of that state shouted it out. Well, guess who failed this learning session? Yeap, me. I only knew the capital of three states, and for the life of me I couldn't remember any others. However, when one of the others shouted the correct answer I smacked myself in the forehead and said, "Duh." I remembered the capitals once they were said. Needless to say, I felt dumb at that moment, but I really felt dumb when my 13-year-old daughter knew more than me.

Yeap, I'll tell ya the three states I knew the capital of... Illinois was the first one I knew, and I knew it because it is my home state. The capital of Illinois is Springfield. And the other two states I knew the capital of were Kentucky (Frankfort) and North Carolina (Raleigh). Go ahead, see what you remember without looking them up. What states in the United States do you remember the capitals of? I'll bet even you remember more than I did. Have fun!

Never give up on your dreams -- work toward them,
Misti Sandefur, freelance writer/editor

0 comments: to “ School is Back in Session so far...