Subscribe to my full RSS feed or receive updates via e-mail.

Computer Frustration

March 16, 2006 4 comments

Well, if it isn't one thing it's another. This weekend I was unable to get on my computer due to the bad storms which moved through my area, then, to top it all off, my computer ended up in the shop yesterday. It took a few hours for them to fix it -- turns out my video graphics card went out and I had to have a new one put in.

When I returned home with the computer I got it all hooked back up, and sit down to get caught up on the writing I missed out on over the weekend. But to add to my trouble I could not do this. I had trouble getting it to connect to the Internet. So I called up Computer Zone, and they tell me it may have something to do with the new video card he just put in, that if I bring in back in tomorrow (it was a few minutes to closing time when I called) he would have a look at it. By this time I wasn't a happy camper, I had just forked out $80 to have the thing fixed, bring it home and it still don't work. Not only did it not work, but some of my programs wouldn't open either. I asked the gentleman on the phone if he could make a house call to get it running right (since I live 15 miles out of town and have spent over $1000 with the company in the past). He tells me to call back in the morning and speak with his "boss man," he said the "boss man" schedules the house calls and etc..

I spent another night not getting any writing done, and first thing in the morning I called the "boss man" and spoke with him. I explained what the gentleman had told me the previous day, and asked if he could do a house call. Needless to say, he said they don't do house calls out of town, and that they didn't have enough people in the shop, that if they did do a house call they would have to shut down the whole shop (three people work in there). I figured, "okay, I guess I can bring the computer back in to let them look at it," after all, I had to have it fixed so I can begin working again, and who better to know it than the ones who built it (I bought the computer from them, it was custom built). But what really upset me was the "boss man" tried his best to pin the problems on me --basically, he said was my fault it wasn't working right. I proceeded to tell him it worked just fine when it left my house.

To make this long story short, I did take the computer back, and the gentleman I spoke with on the phone the day before fixed it, apologized to me telling me it was his fault and not mine. Apparently, he assumed I didn't want my Norton Virus Protection Software and disabled it, and he said when you do this it will sometimes do just what it did. I did tell him I wanted Norton back into my system, because this was my preference, and he placed it back into the system, and when I got home with my computer it finally worked.

I guess all of this mess could have been avoided if they had left my program alone, and not assumed I didn't want it. If I didn't want it, why would I have it there in the first place? Oh well, I'm just venting here I guess, because I'm still not too happy with the place. One reason, because this is not the first time this has happened. Every time I take my computer there to be fixed, when I get it home something usually ends up not working right. I doubt that I return to Computer Zone in the future; it would be one thing if this was the first time (I believe in second chances), but it is not the first time. The one gentleman treated my kindly, but the so called "boss man" was not too kind over the phone, and didn't have a whole lot to say to me when I came in. I guess I'm going to have to call around in my area to find another computer repair service that provides better customer service. My Mom referred me to one that done her well, he even made a house call to help her fix the problem he had caused, and this was only her first time using his service. If you know of any GOOD computer repair service in the Harrisburg, Illinois area, please, let me know. Keep in mind, I will need someone who can get my computer back to me within 24 to 48 hours if at all possible, and the reason is because I make a living from this computer. Or, if they can't get it back to me within that length of time, a loaner would be great.

Thanks for letting me vent. I guess I'll go now, as I have lots of work to catch-up on. Oh, one more thing before I go...if you've ever taken, or are currently taking, the drug called Vioxx (for pain I believe), you need to contact a vioxx attorney.

With Warm Regards,
Misti Sandefur, Author/Freelancer
http://www.mistisandefur.com

4 comments: to “ Computer Frustration so far...

  • Kathy@TheFlawlessWord 10:40 PM CST
     

    Hi Misti, we freelance writers are so dependent on our computers, aren't we? I'm more than happy to listen to you vent. After all, that's the sole purpose of my own blog!

  • Misti Sandefur, Christian author/freelance writer 10:54 PM CST
     

    Hi Irreverent Freelancer, thank you for commenting, and thank you for taking an interest in my blog. Yes, we are dependent on our computers in the writing world. It use to not be that way, but now it seems every thing is connected to computers and the Internet world.

    I'm glad you didn't mind listening to me vent -- it felt better after I got it off my chest. I'll stop by your blog just as soon as I get things caught up. Best of luck to you! And, as I always say, never give up on your dreams -- work toward them.

  • Anonymous 4:38 AM CST
     

    Hello, Misti. This is Jason a. k. a. "scifinut" from ADS or "The Gorn" from absolutewrite. I think I know what happened with the computer repair service you were talking about. One sad truth I have learned about from my air and heat class in college is the under-handed art of "giving yourself more business". Sadly, it is not an uncommon practice with companies that offer a repair service to make the repairs and " accidently overlook" another problem. I'm not saying that is what happened here but it does sound a bit odd that a computer repair technician would disable your anti-virus software of all things. If I were you I would take my business elsewhere.

  • Wendy 8:42 AM CST
     

    Misti, I can sympathize with computer troubles, nothing is more maddening. Been there myself a few times. In January I invested in a laptop computer so I will have a backup if anything happens to my desktop. Especially when we're earning a living with these gadgets, it makes sense to have safeguards in place. Though laptops are not cheap, it would be a business expense tax-wise. Think of it as an investment in your future earning potential. ;-)