Subscribe to my full RSS feed or receive updates via e-mail.

Making a Change: Culture Lifestyles

December 2, 2007 1 comments

All of us writers each have our own areas of specialties, however, there comes a time when we may want a little change. After all, writing about certain specialties all the time can cause a burnout, get old or we find ourselves running out of things to write about related to that topic. I specialize in a variety of topics, and although I've yet to encounter running out of something to write about related to those topics, I did decide that I wanted to make a change. In all actuality, I guess you could say I just wanted to try writing about something new. Therefore, this weekend I got on a kick and headed to Google to search and read about other culture's lifestyles. I chose one culture to read and learn about for now, and since the Amish lifestyle has always fascinated me, I chose to learn more about their culture lifestyle. Not only did I take an interest in their lifestyle over the years, but I live near an Amish community. (I'd love to discover all I can about my neighbors and their way of life.)

I'm not sure yet about the market, but I plan to find out when I write a few articles about the Amish lifestyle. In fact, I've even contemplated visiting my Amish neighbors to see if I can spend a day with them so that maybe I can experience a little bit of their lifestyle. With the way things are going in this World now a days, the Amish may have it made. No high electricity bills to deal with like some of the Southern Illinois Amren customers have struggled with for quite some time now. The Amish mostly travel by horse and buggy so they don't have the high gas prices to deal with. Finally, they don't have to deal with the public school systems either, because they go to school in their own community. There are other things as well, but these are the few I could think of off the top of my head. Oh, yes, another is no Internet or computers, and with no electricity that makes since. However, I have always wondered if there were any writers among the Amish community, and if so, I assumed they do things the old-fashioned way: with pen and paper. This is certainly something I will attempt to discover as I study their lifestyle more.

Well, that's what I've been up to this weekend, and I'll be sure to keep you updated on my research about the culture lifestyle of the Amish. I really am excited about this, and I need a change of pace anyway. I confess, though, it will be the first time I've ever made a change like this with my writing.

Have you ever made a change such as this? If so, how did it work out for you?

Photo courtesy of
Stock.Xchng

1 comments: to “ Making a Change: Culture Lifestyles so far...

  • Anonymous 1:04 PM CST
     

    Change is good. Basically, I feel one of our advantages as writers is that we can take anything that interests or intrigues us and find a way to communicate our passion/enthusiasm/information to our readers.

    In other words, we're always writing! And nothing we do or experience is ever wasted.

    Devon Ellington
    Ink in My Coffee
    http://devonellington.wordpress.com