Subscribe to my full RSS feed or receive updates via e-mail.

Downfall to Working From Home

December 11, 2006 1 comments

I not only LOVE to write, but I enjoy working from the comfort of my home. However, there is one downfall to working from home... family and friends think you're available anytime because you work for yourself. I can't begin to tell you how many times someone has called to ask me to help them, and when I say I'm working they just don't understand. You can explain until you're blue in the face, but they still fail to get it. Some of my family and friends do understand, but some still do not. The way I look at it is I still have a job to do and I pay my taxes like everyone else with a job, the only difference is I do my job from home.

I remember when I worked outside the home (before I made writing a full-time career), family and friends wouldn't call on me as much, but once I began working in the home my phone doesn't stop ringing at times. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand emergencies, and I will drop everything I'm doing if it's bad; I would do this at a job outside the home too. But when I work in the home I still do kinda have a boss to answer to... my clients. My clients depend on me to write their articles, updates, news articles or etc. -- and I have deadlines to meet -- but a select few can't understand. They believe I'm my own boss, but truthfully, once you build clients and begin working for them, you can get fired just the same as if you worked outside the home.

I hate to turn my loved ones down when they need me, and there are times when I have went ahead and helped them because I feel guilty for not helping, but I just wish some could understand that a job is a job no matter where you work.

My mom does understand, and most of the time she doesn't bother me until she's certain I've met my deadlines, but there are times when I think she hints at me helping her clean her house, but because of my "job" I just don't have the time during the day to do that. (I barley find the time to do my own housework :), and I do this on weekends.) Some may wonder why I can't of an evening, but the answer is simple, my husband is home of an evening and I have to fix dinner and like to spend time with him. Plus, by this time I'm usually tired too, and like to rest. I've found a solution to this problem though. Because I do feel bad that I can't help my mom with her housework all the time, I have told her to find out what the lady she has in mind will charge her to clean her house, and since Mom is on disability and can't afford to pay a housecleaner, I told her I would pay the lady to clean her house if the price wasn't too outrageous. Hopefully this will help Mom out when I can't.

Can you relate to my situation? Tell me about it. I'd love to hear so I'll know I'm not alone :)

Hugs,
Misti Sandefur

Visit Misti Sandefur's Official Web Site

Find Out the Latest News About Misti Sandefur

1 comments: to “ Downfall to Working From Home so far...

  • Misti Sandefur, Christian author/freelance writer 4:00 AM CST
     

    Alicia, I'm so, so sorry. I didn't mean to reject the comment you put here. I had a bunch of spam comments I was rejecting, and I accidently rejected yours in the process. Feel free to repost your comment and I'll try not to make that mistake again :)

    My apologies,
    Misti Sandefur