Subscribe to my full RSS feed or receive updates via e-mail.

Preparing for Another Year of Writing

January 8, 2008 2 comments

Since my work has slowed down a bit and I seem to be caught up, I now have the time to fill you in on my writing goals for 2008. Yes, I know what you may be thinking, "Oh no, not more writing goals! Will they ever end?" Actually, they've probably already ended, except for mine. Sorry, I'm a late bloomer, but those paying clients had to come first, right?

First, I'm going to evaluate last year's goals, and then I'll list my changes (if any) as well as my new goals for 2008. I've found it's better to assess my previous goals before making any changes and setting new goals. This also gives me the opportunity to pat myself on the back for the goals I did manage to meet. If you're still with me, then here we go…

The Evaluation:

For 2007 I had hoped to obtain another steady writing gig, increase my writing income to $1000 a month, publish at least 50 articles, finish the second edition of On the Net Resource Guide for Writers, start writing my romance novel (Fair Catch), complete my e-book on building a successful e-zine, blog more regularly and increase my blog's readership. Unfortunately, out of those eight writing goals for 2007 I only accomplished four of them, and I achieved the first writing goal at the end of 2007.

The results were as follows:

I gained three new clients, thus meeting my goal to obtain another steady writing gig. However, as it often is in a writer's life, I lost the steady client I already had, and as a result, I had to hustle to gain new clients, because I made my biggest freelance writing mistake. This was the writing goal that I accomplished at the end of 2007.

I didn't meet my goal for a $1000 a month income since I lost that one client. If I hadn't of lost the client, I would have met the goal.

I met my goal to publish at least 50 articles. In fact, I published over 100 articles in 2007!

I worked on the second edition of On the Net Resource Guide for Writers, but it took the back burner to paying clients. Therefore, I failed to meet this writing goal as well. Although, I can say I'm halfway there.

Since I'm still in the process of revising On the Net Resource Guide for Writers, I have yet to begin Fair Catch, my romance novel that I plan to turn into a Christian romance instead.

As for the e-book on building a successful e-zine, I did complete an outline and started writing the first chapter.

Finally, I met my goal to blog more regularly (as you can see), and my blog readership increased to an average of over 300 visits monthly and over 400 monthly page views.

My 2008 Writing Goals:

1. Obtain two steady writing gigs.

2. I want to make more money than hubby so he'll stop complaining (and they say women complain too much). In order to do this, I need to make at least $1700 a month.

3. Publish at lease five articles in regional and/or national magazines.

4. Send a minimum of 50 query letters.

5. Continue working on On the Net Resource Guide for Writers Second Edition, so I can launch it in 2008.

6. Complete and publish the e-book on building a successful e-zine.

7. Increase my blog readership to a minimum of 1400 visitors per month.

8. Launch my writing e-course for freelance writers.

9. Break into Writer's Digest magazine, which I'm already working on.

10. Increase my marketing efforts through Amazon by taking advantage of the blog, so you'd like to guides, list manias and etc. I currently have written one so you'd like to guide, and I wrote it in 2007.

11. Blog more regularly on my new blog: Discover Southern Illinois.

Phew, that's a lot of writing goals for 2008! If I can manage to meet all those writing goals this year, then I'll be one busy woman -- but a happy one. I didn't reveal all my writing goals for 2008, because those are surprises for you. So stick around with me through 2008 as I reveal those surprises throughout the year. Do you want immediate notification? Subscribe with your favorite reader or by e-mail. Trust me, you don't want to miss these! There will be something in it for you.

2 comments: to “ Preparing for Another Year of Writing so far...