Subscribe to my full RSS feed or receive updates via e-mail.

Deadlines to Meet Plus a New Blog Launch…

October 18, 2007 3 comments

Good news! I got a response from one of those writing jobs I applied for, and it looks as if I may have the job. I said, "may have," because my first assignment is a test. Don't worry, I'll get paid for the articles, they'll decide whether I get another assignment based on how I write the articles they've assigned for the first time… the pressure's on, but I'm confident I can do it. I also know I'm not going to make another big freelance writing mistake, because this time I'm still going to hunt for more writing jobs as a back up. In fact, this is the first time I've ever worked with this company, so I hope they pay, but we'll soon see. And if they don't pay, then I'll take the steps I'm supposed to take as well as alert all the writers I know; y'all will probably be the first to know. Let's just hope it doesn't have to resort to that. (*crossing fingers*) In addition, this writing job is nowhere near the income I earned with my last writing job, so I definitely have to keep searching.

Tonight I have two deadlines to meet. Therefore, I plan to keep this post as brief as possible. I have two articles to write with a 24-hour deadline, and then 10 more articles to write for the new client. The 10 articles have a 10-day deadline, but I want to try to get them completed and turned in a little earlier, so I can make a good first impression. Don't worry; I didn't take one of those "peanut" jobs. I know that must have been the first thought that ran through your head when I said "10 articles." I may be in desperate need of writing jobs right now, but I'm not going to resort to letting a company take advantage of us writers.

For my other bit of good news: I have launched a new blog! I've considered launching this new blog for a while now, and since I wanted to play around with Wordpress, I thought now would be the best time to launch the blog. Boy, do I ever have some learning ahead of me!

I launched Discover Southern Illinois late last night, and I played with it all night long and all afternoon. I chose a theme I like for now, and I've installed a widget that will allow my readers to subscribe to the comments, but I can't seem to get the text beside the check box, instead it wants to go below it…Errr… I'm very new to Wordpress, but I see many Wordpress bloggers with neat things and better features than Blogger, but now I'll have to learn how to get the widgets and features I want, as well as learn how to edit the blog. Blogger is a whole lot simpler, but Wordpress has better features.

Another problem I seem to be having is I don't want the blogroll to say blogroll, I want it to say something else, but I can't figure this one out. If anyone can help, I sure would appreciate it. Furthermore, if you could lead me to some blogs that can help me, that would be great, too. Feel free to peek at what I've done so far, but keep in mind it's a bit of a mess. I've not announced it anywhere but here, and I don't plan to announce it until I get it the way I want it. I've also only made my introduction post, but that was mainly to figure out how to post. If you really want to see the mess, go to Discover Southern Illinois. Once I get everything the way I want it, I'll let you know more about the blog.

So much for being brief…LOL… I'd better end here so I can get busy on those articles. I certainly don't want to miss any deadlines.

Enjoy this post? Subscribe for updates.

3 comments: to “ Deadlines to Meet Plus a New Blog Launch… so far...

  • Michele 8:47 AM CDT
     

    Congratulations on your new writing job and blog, Misti, and I hope you get more good news emails!


    Smiles,
    Michele

  • Anonymous 12:17 PM CDT
     

    Misti,
    I think you'll find WordPress is really easier to use than Blogger - you're just used to Blogger!

    You can create a new category and use that for your blogroll. Then put that category in your sidebar instead of blogroll.

  • Anonymous 12:18 PM CDT
     

    Oh, forgot to say congratulations on the job and best wishes for many more.