Subscribe to my full RSS feed or receive updates via e-mail.

Not Enough Time for College

November 22, 2006 1 comments

My writing keeps me pretty busy these days. Of course you can tell this from my previous posts I'm sure. Anyway, because most my time is spent in front of my computer writing, I don't have a lot of time for college :( I've been thinking about taking a few writing courses, but I don't think I could go by the schedule my local college would set-up. Sure, I could re-arrange my writing schedule, but I'm not sure I would get everything I need to write done if I did this. However, I think I found the solution to my problem yesterday. I ran across an online university called Capella University. According to the press release, Capella University was founded in 1993. It says they offer programs in business, information technology, education, psychology, marketing and others. I've read about taking courses on the Internet before, and I have been thinking about it. However, I've read and heard on the news that there are many companies like this scamming people. They say they'll give you a degree, but later a lot of people find out the degree is fake -- a piece of paper the company printed from their computer. This kind of made me wonder, and I haven't thought about it since, until now.

I figure since I'm a writer I can research these places first, so I think that's what I will do, and I believe I'll start with Capella University. Since they were founded in 1993, that tells me they've been in business quite a while. Plus, I've found out they currently serve over 14,000 students from 50 states and 63 countries. This should say something, right? My next step will be to contact the attorney generals office in their state, to find out if there has been any complaints against them. In addition, I can Google their name and see what else comes up. But so far, I'm leaning in their direction, and one reason, other than those mentioned above, is because Capella University is also accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, and they are a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.

I guess I may get to take some courses after all. Besides, how can I pass up the chance to earn a master degree in something online. By taking the course online I'll be able to study when I can -- set up my own schedule instead of trying to juggle a schedule my local college would set up for me.

I got some research to do now. Off I go! Until next time, never give up on your dreams -- work toward them!

Hugs,
Misti Sandefur

Visit Misti Sandefur's Official Web Site

Find Out the Latest News About Misti Sandefur

1 comments: to “ Not Enough Time for College so far...

  • Anonymous 1:58 PM CST
     

    If you are out of time now, then enrolling in a Master's level course at Capella University will surely burn off the rest of your discretionary time. Be prepared to put in at least 20 hours a week per course.

    Is it worth it? It all depends. Some courses are insanely time consuming and others just challenging.

    Capella has nearly 16,000 people enrolled at any one time. A large number of them are federal employees.

    What I like best about the course structure is you are not linked to group output. Therefore, you earn your own grades.